Spicy Lentil Salad with Maple WalnutsAug 11, 2019
This is one of my all time favourite salads, partly because it so tasty and partly because it makes a generous size, so it’s great of entertaining.
Lentils are wonderfully nutritious and versatile, I have given a few different options of ingredients so you can pick and choose your preference.
If you are sugar free you can use walnuts without maple and just sautéed onions.
This salad keeps well for a few days after making.
6 – 8 servings
- 375g of French Lentils (approximately 2 cups)
- ½ a pumpkin cubed OR 6 carrots sliced into large batons OR 3 beetroot cubed
- ¾ of a block of feta or fried halloumi (120g)
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (chopped)
- 1 small bunch of mint (chopped)
- 1 large red onion (sliced in thin rings)
- ¾ cup of walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 200ml of olive oil
- 80 ml of red vinegar
- 2 tsp maple syrup (100% pure) or raw honey
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1½ tsp mustard powder (or Dijon mustard)
- 1½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Black pepper to taste
- Set the oven to 180C and roast vegetables until cooked through and golden.
- Cook lentils: 2 cups of lentils will require 4 cups of water. Boil for about 5 minutes and them simmer for about 25 minutes or until the water disappears. NOTE don’t overcook the lentils, they should be slightly firm when cooked. Once they are cooked strain any excess water and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil, 1 tablespoons of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup to a small fry pan and then add sliced onion. Simmer at low to medium head until the onions turn golden brown and start to caramelise.
- For the maple walnuts, simple add 1-2 tablespoon of maple syrup to a small pan and add the walnuts. Simmer slowly until the walnuts start to turn golden. Remove them from the pan and allow them to set on a small plate.
- To make the dressing add all ingredients into a jar and shake well.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a salad bowl and dress with your desired amount.