Nourishing Hub Caramelized Brussels Sprout SaladAug 12, 2013
I ran into my lovely friend at the supermarket last week and when I asked her what she was having for dinner and she replied ‘Brussels sprouts – do you have a recipe’? I recalled I’d made up a recipe last season and I rattled it off off the top of my head. Here is the official version:
- 500g Brussels sprouts (about 18 sprouts)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons of maple syrup (100% pure)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 salad bowl of baby spinach leaves or mixed greens
- ¾ cup of cooked brown lentils
- ½ cup of chopped tamari almonds or macadamia nuts
- ¾ block of feta (crumbled or chopped)
- ½ cup of olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 1 pinch of Himalayan rock salt
- Trim Brussels Sprouts and cut lengthways in half. Steam them over boiling water for about 6 minutes (they should turn bright green). Heat a large frying pan over medium/high heat and add olive oil and maple syrup. Add Brussels Sprouts cut-side down and allow them to cook for about 5 minutes – try to wait until they turn a golden brown colour before turning them. Cook for approximately 3 minutes on the other side.
- Add the remaining ingredients into a salad bowl and toss lightly – add Brussels Sprouts to the salad.
- Add dressing ingredients to a jar and shake until well combined.
- Drizzle dressing over the salad