Gone to Heaven Hazelnut Chocolate Tart (Vegan)Jun 24, 2020
I have named this Gone To Heaven Hazelnut Chocolate Tart because it is just so yummy!
What can I say but you have to try this melt in your mouth dessert. It is one of my personal favourites. It has a hazelnut crust and a silky chocolate filling. It is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free.
It does use cacao butter, which is maybe something you don’t have in your cupboard but for texture and taste, I highly recommend it.
- 1 ½ cups (350 g) shelled hazelnuts (plus a handful for the topping)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup fresh dates pitted (preferably Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao
- ½ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- (If you prefer a sweeter base you can add a tablespoon of maple syrup)
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (1 cup) – I recommend the ayam brand
- 2 generous tbsp of coconut oil
- 70gms of cacao butter
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- ½ cup of raw cacao
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking tray on 180°C in the oven, for 10 – 15 minutes or until skin cracks.
- Allow to cool, then remove the skin by rubbing the nuts between a rough kitchen towel or tea towel.
- Add hazelnuts and salt to a food processor or blender and pulse for about 10 seconds. The nuts should be chopped but not powdered.
- Add remaining ingredients until you the mixture forms a stick crumb consistency.
- 20 cm (8-inch) spring-form cake tin and flatten it out with your fingers. Put in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
- In a double boiler pot, add coconut milk, coconut oil, cacao butter, maple syrup and simmer until melted.
- Remove from heat and add cacao powder and vanilla essence and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the base and store in the fridge or freezer until firm (this maybe 6 hours in the fridge).
Decorate with chopped hazelnuts or with berries.(I decorated mine with rose petals, pistachios, raspberries, and raspberry powder).