Gluten Free Broccoli and Quinoa TabboulehMay 23, 2019
If you have ever eaten Lebanese or Syrian food, you have probably enjoyed their delicious traditional vegetarian dish – Tabbouleh.
My recipe is an adaptation of the traditional recipe, I’ve added a few extra ingredients and have created a gluten-free Tabbouleh option. Traditional tabbouleh uses bulgur wheat, whereas this recipe uses protein-rich quinoa instead.
This version of Broccoli and Quinoa Tabbouleh is a great way to get extra nutrients into your diet (i.e. broccoli, as well as some beautiful fresh herbs). Broccoli contains vitamin C, Vitamin K and is a good source of folate. Broccoli is excellent antioxidant food, is anti-inflammatory and promotes digestive health.
- One large head of Broccoli
- 1 cup of white quinoa (makes about 2 cups cooked)
- ¾ cup of finely chopped fresh mint
- ¾ cup of finely chopped parsley (Italian or traditional)
- 1 ½ cups of chopped baby tomatoes
- 1 cup of chopped seedless cucumber
- ½ a red onion very finely diced
- Juice of 2 lemons (about 5 tablespoons)
- 1/3 of a cup of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Salt and ground pepper
- Add 1 cup of white quinoa to a medium-sized pot, add water and cook until light and fluffy.
- Set aside and allow to cool.
- Blend on large head of broccoli in the food processors so it is very finely chopped.
- In a medium sized fry pan add one tablespoon of olive oil and stir fry the broccoli for a few minutes.
- Once quinoa is cool, add broccoli, mint, parsley, tomatoes, cucumber and onion.
- For the dressing add lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper. Shake well and pour the dressing over the salad.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- You can adjust the taste with lemon if required.