Fig Caramel and Coconut Chia ParfaitJan 15, 2019
This is a nutrient-dense dessert that tastes very decadent with the fig and caramel sauce, the coconut crisp just tops it off. Fig Caramel and Coconut Chia Parfait is a perfect dessert you can make prior to an event and serve at any time.
Chia seeds have the highest source of plant Omega 3s (a good brain food) they are also a great source of vegetarian product and contain 18% of your daily calcium needs. You may remember the Chia Colada Recipe, where I also shared lots of the amazing benefits of Chia seeds.
This recipe is like 3 recipes in one, you will come away with a chia pudding recipe, a date and tahini caramel sauce and a Coconut crisp, which is perfect for dessert or breakfast toppings. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free and vegan.
Note: The coconut topping makes a good-sized jar so you can use it later for topping breakfasts or desserts. It is a great gluten-free option to have on hand. You may decide to halve this part of the recipe.
You will need 4 dessert glasses to serve.
- 5 tablespoons of Chia seeds
- 3 cups of Coconut Milk (I recommend Coco Quench carton milk or Ayum coconut milk)
- Add chia seeds to a large jar (preferably a FIXO jar – jar with a metal latch)
Shake well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight (I tend to give the jar a shake if I am passing the fridge)
- 1 cup of dates (medjool or other)
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- If using normal dates (as opposed to medjool) soak in boiling water for around 30 minutes to soften (not required for medjools).
- Drain dates and place them in the food processor with the remaining ingredients (including 1/2 cup of water)
- Blend until all forms a smooth creamy caramel sauce.
8 ripe figs
Take 8 large ripe figs and slice them into quarters. Heat a frypan with 1 – 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. Cook figs over slow heat until they are tender. Set aside to cool
Crispy Coconut Topping
- 3 cups of coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of sesame seeds
- 3/4 cup of walnuts
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or rice syrup
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Pour dry ingredients into a baking try and mix. Melt coconut oil and maple syrup in a pot and pour it over the dry ingredients, mix well.
- Put the mixture in the oven and allow it to brown, then turn the mixture. Continue this process until the coconut mixture is golden brown.
- Allow to cool.
Chia Parfait Construction
- Place the figs at the bottom of the glass (so you can seem them through the side of the glass)
- Pour set chia pudding around and over the figs (about half full.
- Pour caramel sauce over the chia so it forms about a 1 cm layer.
- Sprinkle coconut chips over the top of the dessert
Serve immediately or refrigerate and serve later.